Routes

Planner

Features

Updates

App

Login or Signup

Get the App

Login or Signup

Routes
Hiking trails & Routes
Netherlands
North Holland
Schermer

Town Hall De Rijp – Graft Town Hall loop from West-Graftdijk

Routes
Hiking trails & Routes
Netherlands
North Holland
Schermer

Town Hall De Rijp – Graft Town Hall loop from West-Graftdijk

Moderate

4.4

(28)

129

hikers

Town Hall De Rijp – Graft Town Hall loop from West-Graftdijk

02:40

10.6km

10m

Hiking

Moderate hike. Good fitness required. Easily-accessible paths. Suitable for all skill levels. The starting point of the route is accessible with public transport.

Last updated: July 28, 2026

Tips

Includes movable bridges

Check opening times.

After 6.15 km for 5 m

After 6.24 km for 5 m

Waypoints

A

Start point

Bus stop

Get Directions

1

2.43 km

Church of Oost-Graftdijk

Highlight • Religious Site

2

5.03 km

Meccano Land

Highlight • Museum

Tomorrow, July 12, 2026, the museum is open

See meccanogilde.nl

Showing Translation

Tip by

3

6.17 km

Town Hall De Rijp

Highlight • Historical Site

De Rijp was founded at the end of the thirteenth century. The place name means 'bank edge', De Rijp was created on the southern part of the dyke around Schermereiland. The place was very prosperous in the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries, thanks to whaling, herring fishing and the processing of hemp.

The town hall was designed in 1630 by Leeghwater. It survived the fire of 6 and 7 January 1654.
In this town hall was also the risk. On the ground floor there is another weighing facility (De Waag), where in the past livestock and products from agriculture and industry were weighed.
On the first floor is the council chamber, the mayor's chamber and the secretary.

Herring fishing
The herring fishery ('the big fishery') was a highly regulated company. In the Noorderkwartier, only the city of Enkhuizen was a member of the College of Large Fisheries. Of the total North Holland herring fleet, approximately 25% to 30% were in the hands of Rijper shipping companies, the rest of ship owners from Enkhuizen. The caught herring was not allowed to be packed in De Rijp for export (herring bakery); this had to happen in Enkhuizen.

Herring fishing was not a full-time business: it only gave the fishermen work three or four months a year. The remaining months were often concerned with fishing on the inland lakes (such as Schermeer, Starnmeer and Beemster). When these were ground, this possibility disappeared and the number of Rijper crew members on the herring fleet also decreased. The direct connection with the Zuiderzee also disappeared due to these land reclamations.

The last herring boat sailed in 1888.

Tip by

4

6.21 km

Beautiful property in beautifully preserved village De Rijp.

Translated by Google •

Tip by

5

6.29 km

Coat of arms of Münster

Highlight • Restaurant

Had a nice lunch

Translated by Google •

Tip by

6

7.73 km

The smallest candy shop in the Netherlands. Closed in corona time but you can buy a surprise bag of candy with the cart.

Translated by Google •

Tip by

7

7.77 km

A tasty tip: cookies to take with you.

Translated by Google •

Tip by

8

7.77 km

Graft Town Hall

Highlight • Historical Site

Graft town hall
In a number of villages in the heart of Noord-Holland, such as Jisp, De Rijp, Graft and Grootschermer, there are remarkable 17th-century town halls, which have many similarities in their construction and decoration. These town halls were built during a period of great prosperity and were not only used as a meeting room for the village administration, but also served to give the village and the village administration more prestige.

Raadhuis Graft can be visited between mid-April and mid-October on Sunday afternoons from 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm and in July and August from Wednesday to Sunday from 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm.
Museum In 't Houten Huis organizes the temporary exhibitions at the town hall.
Dutch Renaissance

The town hall was built by an unknown master builder in the so-called Dutch Renaissance style. Characteristic for this are the combined use of brick and natural stone, the exuberant decoration with decorative brickwork, blocks of sandstone, facing bricks and sculpted figures. The town hall was originally used for meetings and justice, not as a workspace. Only in the French period did the municipal authorities in the Netherlands get more functions and more civil servants, and would the town hall be split up into smaller workspaces.

The impoverishment of Graft in the 19th century resulted in a neglect of the building. Around 1900 the top façade on the street side had disappeared, the bottom windows were bricked up and demolition did not seem far away (see image). Fortunately, the tide turned and the town hall was built in 1909/1910 by architect J.F.L. Frowein must be carefully restored. The building was redesigned in 1928/1929; the rotted beams and key pieces were replaced during this restoration.

The interior
In the hall a memorial stone commemorates the restoration led by Frowein. In the downstairs room, used among other things by the municipal authority, there is a boiler room with a so-called net vault. Together with the cross beam placed in front of it (the so-called raveling or ravel beam), this supports the fire place on the first floor. There is a storage place in a noticeable place between the beams.

The council chamber with the public gallery is located on the upper floor. The 17th-century ball-footed table is original; Frowein has carefully reconstructed the paneling and other furniture from old examples. The heavy wooden pillars in the wall (especially clearly visible in the hall by the stairs) show that this floor is a mixture of a wooden and a stone construction. This mix has been chosen not to make the building unnecessarily heavy.

While wooden warehouses were built, the town hall, just like the church, was decorated in stone and elaborately decorated. The town hall often stood next to the church: a central place, which also made clear that spiritual and secular authority complement each other.

The exterior of the town hall
The characteristic combination of brick with natural stone decorations has already been mentioned. The three top facades are striking; these are separated from the lower façades by friezes made of decorative brickwork. At the west and south façade, these friezes are closed off by lion heads.

On top of the top gables are shield-bearing lions with the arms of the then reigning governor, Prince Maurits. On the stairs of the west facade are images of Justitia (justice) and Prudentia (caution). They were a hallmark of good governance. A little lower in the west facade we see a facing brick; according to tradition, this Prince suggests Maurits. The winged angel heads above the windows are striking; such cups were previously used by the Amsterdam architect Hendrick de Keyser.

Tip by

B

10.6 km

End point

Bus stop

Loading

Way Types & Surfaces

Way Types

4.70 km

3.44 km

2.09 km

384 m

Surfaces

5.82 km

4.45 km

307 m

< 100 m

Sign up to see more specific route details

Sign up for free

Elevation

Elevation

Nothing selected – click and drag below to see the stats for a specific part of the route.

Sign up to see more specific route details

Sign up for free

Weather

Powered by Foreca

Today

Tuesday 25 August

24°C

14°C

13 %

Additional weather tips

Max wind speed: 20.0 km/h

to get more detailed weather forecasts along your route

Comments

guide_signup

Want to know more?

Sign up for a free komoot account to join the conversation.

Sign up for free

Our route recommendations are based on thousands of hikes, rides, and runs completed by other people on komoot.

Save

Edit route

Download GPX

Move start point

Print

Share

Embed on a website

Report an Issue

Report restricted access

Nearby routes

Moderate

4.6

1,394

Berries, leaves and mountains in the dune landscape of South-Kennemerland

02:37h

10.2km

30m

Explore
RoutesRoute plannerFeaturesRedeem a voucherHikesMTB TrailsRoad cycling routesBikepackingSitemap
Download the app
Follow Us on Socials

© komoot GmbH

Privacy Policy